Sunday 29 November 2009

OMG I'm Single.......................................

OMG I'm Single.........................................

So I’ve packed my bags, I’ve waved the idiot goodbye and I’m on route to the parents with a car full of junk I don’t want or need. I’m Charlie by the way. I’m 24, single and completely confused as to whether or not I’ve just made the best or worst decision of my life. I guess there’s no going back. I now face the world as a young single woman for the first time since I was 17….Bloody Hell! It’s the first time I’ve been single as an adult. Ok, I can do this. It can’t be that hard, women twice my age with four kids are on their own. I am, at last, a strong and free independent woman.... or so I try and tell myself.

"Ok.... I arrive at my parents and Mum greets me with that disappointed face which seems more and more common as I get older and utters, ‘You should be on a diet.’ Why does it always cut more when a family member states the obvious? So I might have put on a couple of pounds; you know what it’s like eating out all the time, cooking those calorie laden meals in a desperate attempt to distract your man from football or the skinny PA back at the office. It doesn’t help by the fact my Mum’s a skinny blonde rake and looks more like my sister than my mother. Great, this is doing wonders for my self-esteem; when even my own Mum thinks I’m unattractive. What chance do I ever have of meeting Mr. Right? Thank the Lord for my good old Dad, who in his wise way helps me with my bags and tells me my ex was never good enough for me in the first place. Well said Dad I think to myself, you took the word’s right out of my mouth."

I unload the boot of my car with the help of my Dad in utter silence. I knew that he didn’t know what to say with his silent disappointment and he was clearly tip toeing around me, fearful of me bursting in to tears, which is happening more and more as of late. I unpack my laptop and immediately log into Facebook to declare to the world I’m a free single woman again. ‘Yipeeeeeeeee’.... I try to tell myself for the second time today. Then the texts messages come in, you know the ones, ‘Charlie hun I’ve just seen your FB status you ok?xx’ Mainly from my male friends; it seems my old couple friends are ignoring me and I start to feel as though I’ve been kicked out of the club. F*** em’ I tell myself, Charlie is joining a new club, of the single kind............